Friday, May 6, 2011

Black Oak Cabernet 09

Here is another "half-price" wine from Gross Out. It is supposed to retail for $9.99 and you can pick it up for $4.99 right now. This is not the unreal discount of some of the other wines next to it on the shelves, but it is one we have not tried yet.

Under the plastic "foil" lies one of those plastic "corks". This is not a good sign. I know that these are a lot cheaper and produce less waste for the winery, but I have rarely liked the wine behind them. The bottle promises a "medium-bodied wine with aromas of rich plum and cedar. The flavors reminiscent of dark cherry and blackberries with a nice sprinkling of spice."

In the glass, the color is not very heartening; it is almost as clear as a blush wine. The nose is also quite "light" and I might imagine "cedar". The palate is so indistinct that I have trouble really identifying any specific taste. The finish is also light. Other than a lingering bitterness this wine does not have much character at all (to my taste.)

This wine does not have the character I expect from a Cabernet Sauvignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment